Real estate, news, events, and people in Colchester, Connecticut and surrounding towns.
January 12, 2012
Carbon Monoxide detector for your Colchester house
Should you have a Carbon Monoxide detector in your house? Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible gas produced from burning fossil fuels like gasoline, oil, kerosene, etc. CO is produced anytime these types of fuels burn incompletely. It can be created by heating and cooking appliances, automobiles, mowers, tractors and generators.
The danger of Carbon Monoxide is that it replaces the oxygen in the blood. This acts as a poison to your body because your body’s organs and cells need oxygen to survive. Flu like symptoms is an early indication of CO poisoning. This is followed by dizziness, mental confusion, headaches, fainting and possibly, death. Carbon Monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the United States.
To prevent poisoning, buy a detector and replace it every 2 years. To keep safe, do not run motors indoors, even if the garage door is open. Do not use charcoal or gas grill indoors or in the garage and make sure you heating system are regularly serviced by a qualified technician.